Friday 20 December 2013

Flower Pot Pattern: Wallpaper Inspiration

As mentioned in my previous blog post and seen in my Learning Journal, I have decided to design my paint container so that it can be reused as a flower pot. Shown in my designs, a label would be wrapped about the aluminum paint container, clear and simplistic, showing the brand identity and crucial information for the decorator's (as the target audience are likely to hire one) benefit. This label could then be removed after use, to reveal an attractive pattern, printed onto the metal container, so that it could be used as an aesthetically-pleasing flower pot. I mentioned in the linked blog post that the pattern seen on the metal would have to be sophisticated and premium in appearance to attract my target audience. I therefore looked at patterns seen on high-end wallpapers for design inspiration.

Sophisticated, repetitive patterns. One strong, bold colour against a plainer cream backdrop.
Shown above is wallpaper by Edward Bulmer's main competitor, Farrow & Ball. I therefore think that this is the kind of sophisticated patterns that Edward Bulmer would like, as the client expressed his admiration for Farrow & Ball's overall design during the client meeting. I also feel I am therefore on track with this research.
Floral inspiration on patterns. This would work well on a flower pot, the pattern linking to nature.


I also looked at Harlequin, a website that I found advertised in the Country Homes & Interiors magazine during my inspiration search, a magazine that my target audience is theorized to read.

The following wallpaper patterns were found on Harlequin's website:
Harlequin



These wallpapers I looked at were premium, ranging from £49 to £116 in price. They are designed for the same target audience who I am looking into.

Their patterns have obviously been influenced from traditional wallpaper designs. They are repetitive, intricate, subtle and made up of no more than three colours. Most colours used are not particularly vivid (with some exceptions) but rather use soft, complimentary tones. I felt like the patterns that were influenced by floral and botanic imagery could be especially fitting for the purpose of my designs.



References:
http://www.tangletree-interiors.co.uk/
http://www.harlequin.uk.com/harlequin-wallpaper.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment