Monday 9 December 2013

First Prototype and Feedback

Last week I mocked up my first prototype. My comments on the design a week ago:
 
"I have been considering a number of materials for my packaging. Recycled metal seems to be the most suitable solution for a paint container, for example steel and aluminium. However. I have been looking at tinplate, which is suitable for paint packaging and is endlessly recyclable. It is also strong and light. For the transport solution, at the moment I am thinking of using card, to reinforce the eco-friendly look.
 
For my transport packaging solution, I was influenced by Ivan Maximov’s design for takeaway packaging for beer. His design has been made from recycled cardboard and at the base circular shapes have been cut out, meaning it neatly slots the cups in place. I have also been looking at creative examples of paint packaging such as Trixol, Colorcril and YOLO Colourhouse, taking inspiration from their shapes.
 
My packaging will be made out of material that is 100% recyclable. I have been looking at origami packaging that often has a secondary use, so perhaps this is something I could research further.  
The two paints will be nestled in a secure cardboard structure during transportation. A handle will be attached to the transport packaging to make it easier to shift. The two paints will sit back-to-back, meaning that they are balanced, making movement of these heavy paints much easier.
I am planning to research further into how my containers will work on a shelf. I would like to find a solution of them perhaps clipping together somehow, though this has been difficult to accomplish thus far."
 
I took my initial sketch and created a template so that I could piece the design together. First, I used card to create my mockup to check that the template would work:
The comments I received from the group were that they thought my paint would be damaged during transportation. 


Obviously, the paint would find more securely nestled in the packaging in my final design (the cylinder paint container was made too small in my mock-ups) but this is something I will take into consideration. After evaluation, I'm not sure if this would be the safest traveling method. Furthermore, after researching more about sustainability, I also think that this packaging may take up a lot of room in the truck. I think I would rather my packaging be stackable, so to conserve space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment